Find below the FREE CPD-certified workshops in Theatre B.
For you to receive your CPD points and certificate you MUST attend the first 30 minutes of the workshop. The certificate is available for collection at the CPD collection point after 2 hours of the workshop session being completed. The certificates are only available during the days of the event, so don't forget to collect your certificate during the event.
If you are interested in speaking, please contact: Rubina Dsouza
THEME OF THE DAY: AFFORDABLE HOUSING
- Policy: Practical solutions for affordable housing
- Design: From site selection to unit layouts
- Research: Alternative technologies & materials
Speaker: Gurmukh Panesar, Principal Architect & Managing Director at Grasp Design Ltd Grasp Design Ltd.
· Policy: Practical solutions for affordable housing
· Design: From site selection to unit layouts
· Research: Alternative technologies & materials
Speaker: Sang Won Jeon, Managing Director, Kumkang Kind East Africa Ltd
- What is the difference between social housing and affordable housing?
- Why is social housing necessary?
- How can social housing be achieved using the resources available in Kenya?
Speaker: Githinji Mbugua, Lead Architect, Simple Architects Limited
- Outline on Project Financing Models available in the market
- Difference between business and revenue models
- Tools available for Housing Facilities and Properties Management Structures
Speaker: Salano Sutcliffe, Housing Manager, Uokoaji Housing Limited
- Demand for Affordable housing in Kenya (The Demographics)
- Supply of microfinance for affordable housing.
- Hindrances to Affordable housing
- Applicable solutions by housing microfinances, housing co-operatives and SACCOs
Speaker: Geoffrey Kilonzo, General Manager - Urithi Housing Co-op Society
- Examples of Different Country Strategic Guidelines for Affordable Land & Housing Development
- Managing Three Elements of Inclusive Urban Development in the Provision of Affordable Housing
- Way forward towards Mass Housing Development Strategy in Kenya
Speaker: Eric E. Kigada, Architect Director at B & A Studios Ltd
THEME OF THE DAY: TECHNOLOGY AND DESIGN IN BUILDING CONSTRUCTION & WOMEN IN CONSTRUCTION
A landmark in architectural excellence
How will the tower impact the local economy?
The long-term vision for the Vortex Tower Project
What considerations can be implemented to sustain the life cycle of the megaproject?
How will the tower impact the economy?
The long-term vision for the tower
- Future Implementations
Speaker: Amedee Santalo, Concept Designer & Adviser to H.E. Sheikh Tarek M. Binladen, Middle East Development LLC.
- Technology – How technology is playing a bigger role in what we do and how we do it?
- People – What kind of people and skills do we need to be ready for the future?
- Process – How business processes are changing to adapt to the times?
Speaker: Bisrat Degefa, Head of Digital Engineering, Atkins Global
- Getting it right from the start – Choosing the appropriate construction technology
- Aluminium Formwork and Mass Housing – Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
- Project Management Partnership – Kumkang Kind and the Construction Professional
Speaker: Sam Muihia, Business Development Manager, Kumkang Kind East Africa
- Dealing with unfavourable contract terms
- Engaging professionals in the industry for quality assurance
- Embracing technology in the industry
Speaker: Irene Wanjiku, Managing Director, Rexe Roofing Ltd
- Steps taken to encourage gender diversity at the office?
- As women in the industry, what has your experience been working in the construction sector?
- What advice would you give to women entering the construction industry today?
- What is a Green Building?
- What skills are needed to ensure a building in sustainable?
- Debunking green Building Myths in Kenya
Speaker: Wangari Muchiri, Associate, JLL
THEME OF THE DAY: PROJECT MANAGEMENT & ENGINEERING
- Why is Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) important on a project site?
- Types of personal protective gear and lifesaving equipment
- Fire Safety protection and prevention in construction sites
- Risk Management and Implementation of signs, signals and barricades
Speaker: John Wachira, Director, Gavity General Works, Limited
- Construction management
- Construction quality management
- Project management for the design professions
Speaker: Steve Kinyanjui, Managing Director, Swadeb Construction Co. Ltd.
- Kenya Vision 2030 Flagship Project: The Case of LAPSSET Corridor Project
- Addressing the key drivers of Growth through stable macro-economic base and increased investments
- Implementation: Ethiopia – Kenya – South Sudan and Uganda
- Construction and Supervision of project
Speaker: Silvester Kasuku, MBS, CMILT, Director General & CEO, LAPSSET Corridor Development Authority
- Manage construction in phases.
- Manage stakeholders – contractors, suppliers, and workers
- Safe, secure and Transparent payments.
Speaker: Kiarie Moses Mwangi, Ambassador, iBUILD Global
- Definition of riparian land
- Why riparian zones are important and reasons why we should not construct on them
- What the Kenyan government is doing to protect riparian land
Speaker: Leah Muthony, Lead Environmental Consultant, HEW Consult and environmental expert with the National Environment Management Authority (NEMA)
- Clarifying roles and responsibilities to improve team performance and accountability
- Managing client expectations in Construction Projects (on Information, Time, Cost and Quality)
- Practical solutions/Approach to disputes (time, cost, quality)- Project Management should not be a purely academic exercise when solving disputes, communicating or keeping timelines.
Speaker: Kenvis Kirocho, Construction Project Manager, MIP Project Management
- Collaboration within the industry (regulators and developers)
Importance of choosing the right quality of materials for the project
- The balance between manual labour and construction equipment
Speaker: Julian Omutoko Otanga, Assistant Resident Engineer, Kenya Rural Roads Authority